Saturday, February 12, 2011

ROCKS


Rocks Lounge
I have always said someone needs to have the courage to open a CLASSY lounge in Orlando that offers great food, live music, comfortable, casual seating for me and my GIRLFRIENDS. The Peabody did just that with ROCKS! I love this place and you will, too!

My girlfriend, Jessica Burns, and I tested the waters at ROCKS Friday night for a fundraiser put on by Space To Grow. The organization raises money for homeless families, including women and children, who are victims of domestic violence. Proceeds from Friday night's fundraiser go toward "Baskets of Love." The baskets are put together for the women and their children for Valentine's Day!  I love the cause. Side note: I helped emcee this event last year. **Tear Jerker**

Rocks is not the place to go for a full meal! This place only serves small appetizers.
But as soon as you walk up the short staircase leading to the venue, overlooking the hotel pool, you see and feel the touch of CLASS put into creating the one-of-a-kind atmosphere. The live music is just loud enough to hear within earshot from anywhere in the room.

We settled on the biscuit-style crab cakes, which our server couldn't seem to determine if she should recommend them or not. My initial thought: FATFOOD! I immediately thought about the thick moisture-deprived biscuits they serve at Chik-fil-A (blame my boyfriend who seriously should consider buying stock in that joint)! Seriously, though, the chef at Rocks probably should've left "biscuit" out of the title of this bite. Other than it's shape, there is NOTHING about it that puts me in the mind of a FATTENING biscuit. The outer shell is STUFFED, and I mean STUFFED with crab meat. There are some spots that will skimp on the "good meat!"

The downside to this stomach-pleasing appetizer...you only get two..which is fine..but it was $15!
Recognize, this place is in the PEABODY, where rooms will run you upwards of $200/night. Just know, if you're not careful, some of the appetizers*** at this hot spot will leave you with sticker shock if you're not careful --because you will want more than one. Kudos to the servers who did a great job of catering to a large crowd of people as quickly as they did. But maybe next time Jessica (one of the servers, not my friend) will serve that Peabody Cosmo with a smile : )

Cost for two: $50 (includes and appetizer and two cocktails)
***There are cheaper things on the menu, which also got rave reviews from some of the folks at this fundraiser.
Parking: Valet is the best route. It's complimentary when you get validation from the waiters at Rocks

1 comment: