Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mi Tomatina

Honey Lavender Shrimp
I stumbled upon Mi Tomatina while working on a story in Winter Park. And boy, am I glad the owner forced my photographer and I to stick around for lunch! The Spanish-Style tapas restaurant was opened by a woman from Argentina, who BELIEVES in her food and SERVICE! And RIGHTFULLY so...

Solomillo Con Patatas
Winter Park residents are regulars. I don't blame them. It's in the heart of Hannibal Square and you could certainly walk from Park Avenue. And it's obviously a FAVORITE among the locals because traffic picked up drastically in the hour we were there. It's Winter PARK, so expect to run into "well-to-doers" and more than a few "stay at home moms." But don't let that keep you away from the succulent Honey Lavender Shrimp ($12), seared in a honey lavender glaze, served over a bed of greens. If you're a FAN of red meat, you will not want to leave without trying the  ultra tender Solomillo Con Patatas (Angus Tenderloin with Potatoes, $16). I'm not a red-meat eater, but looking at this dish made my mouth water. It cleared my photographer's plate in less than 10 minutes! The appetizer we tried, Patatas Bravas ($6), was great too--especially with the house made sauce! Perfect alternative to the bread they brought to the table, which I was not a fan of. Too hard!  I can eat bread all day long. I know, its not good for me, but a restaurant with good bread sucks me in every time!

And the dessert the owner herself said we couldn't live without was not my cup of tea. It is Spanish-Style, so maybe its an acquired taste. It was like cream cheese wrapped in some sort of roll, with chocolate and almonds mixed in. It look FABULOUS (see picture to the left). The menu says..YUM...my photographer and I both said...GROSS! It's o.k., the friendly waiters made up for it! Not to mention, the owner frequently visited tables to check on guests--nice touch :)

Cost for two: $20 (keep in mind, its tapas. One dish can feed 2-3 people)
Parking: Street parking all around Hannibal Square, but it can get crowded, depending on the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment