Thursday, February 10, 2011

4 Rivers Smokehouse

Where do I begin...from wrong orders to the WAIT that makes you feel like you're in a line for public assistance or unemployment benefits...this place has become a real disappointment!


Let me first say...I like the idea! And when  4 Rivers Smokehouse first opened, I couldn't get enough of it! The food ...no other BBQ place (in my opinion) could touch it.  From the savory sauces to the detail of the seasoned meat (yummy)! I moved to Orlando from Memphis (but I'm originally from Chicago), so I have an appreciation for good BBQ. 4 Rivers Smokehouse used to offer that, but I think the owners and employees are overwhelmed. That transfers to bad service, sloppy orders and frustrated customers.
I don't think the owners anticipated the restaurant would take off like it has. If they did.....maybe they wouldn't have opened up in a location that provides too few parking spaces and tight working conditions for employees trying to serve a line long enough to wrap around the building at times.
The problem: probably two few employees . And I could be wrong, but it seems part of the solution has been to prepare the food in BULK to push the orders out faster. That means the food isn't necessarily as fresh as it could be, and it opens the door for more mistakes! Anything produced in bundles ..disgusts me. Part of the reason I ate nothing but cookies when I went on my first cruise. And also a reason I stay REALLY FAR away from buffets...except those in Las Vegas :)

I haven't experienced great service at 4 Rivers in a while. Three times in a row, I got home and realized they had given me someone else's food or left something out of my order. Once I had an order with a bone in my macaroni. Another time...half-cooked chicken. And once I had my mind set on trying the red velvet cake. I almost threw up when I saw bugs nibbling on the cake, which was in a case that's wide open! This is all clearly proof of over-worked employees who don't have enough time to make sure customer service isn't lacking in the rush to serve the massive amount of customer lining up outside for the "Best BBQ" in town :/

The only problem with that...if you tick enough people off and screw up enough orders, the line will get shorter...and shorter..and shorter. And that's sad because the restaurant was born out of an idea to help a local family pay medical bills for their daughter, who had cancer.

Good luck with what you all are trying to do out there, but I won't be back to 4 Rivers until the owners figure out how to boost customer service, the quality of food--and realize that mixing a bone in my macaroni is not a good way to separate yourselves from the other BBQ joints in town.

Cost for two: $20-30
Parking: Like I said above...very little space for too many people. And be careful about parking in the neighborhood on people's grass. They will have you towed!

3 comments:

  1. Their beef brisket is really good. I hate that you have to sit outside on benches if you want to eat there. There are flies everywhere out there. Its funny that there is usually a line wrapped way out into the parking lot but there is no parking. Where do all of these people park? There is about 8 spaces with 50 people in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend was a huge fan of the beef brisket, too! He's from the south and said it reminded him of home. It's sad when you find something good and bad service pushes you away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parking is available at Killarney Baptist Church across the street. However, many people who are willing to stand in line for 30 mins for food are too lazy to take a short walk. Yes, if you park in our neighborhood we become upset. Mostly because people park on the grass, block the road, and toss trash roadside. We will call the tow truck or the police who happily ticket you if you're illegally parked. Enjoy your food but be respectful people.

    ReplyDelete