Wednesday, February 16, 2011

K Restaurant

I woke up SICK the day after I had dinner at K Restaurant in College Park, a cute neighborhood, not far from Downtown Orlando. I was so disappointed because a few of my Twitter followers had nothing but great things to say about this restaurant on Edgewater. And even one of my friends who lives nearby was in SHOCK! Lesson learned: Some restaurants can't handle holiday crowds, at all!
The Mister and I probably spend an hour trying to determine where we're going to eat, which is part of the reason I was inspired to start this blog. One Sunday, at the last minute, we decided to go to College Park and pick a random place. We found K Restaurant. It was the day before Valentine's Day. I didn't think we were going to get a seat. We did, right away.
K Restaurant
We were immediately impressed by the atmosphere. There's a small bar area when you first walk in..seating on the porch outside.  It literally looks like the owners bought an old house and turned it into a restaurant--great idea! 

The people sitting next to us were very friendly. In fact, they happened to be regulars, who lived nearby, and suggested we try EVERYTHING on the menu! Our waiter was a little less helpful. His response to everything was..."Hmmm." 
Sir, what do you recommend.."Hmmm." 
Sir, what about the appetizers, what do you recommend? "Hmm." 
Sir, can we order a bottle of wine? "Hmmm" 
We were CONVINCED he smoked MORE THAN a CIGARETTE on his last smoke break... 
Our waiter later disclosed to us he was FILLING IN for a friend, who had to work his second job at the Amway Center!!! Hilarious! 

The appetizer the manager said we couldn't live without---showed up on the plate burned to its core! It was BLACKER than my BLACKBERRY!  Yes, we sent it back, but didn't want to chance ordering another one. Meanwhile, I couldn't help but notice, every waiter was moving around so fast they almost knocked each other over! Looked like rats trying to find a hiding place in the light! The service was rushed. I understand, it was a holiday weekend, so maybe that isn't the norm here, but it certainly was a turnoff. 

I ordered the Lobster Macaroni. It was o.k., but I've certainly had better. I'm thinking it was pre-cooked earlier in the day, and came out of a "warmer." The Mister had the Chicken & Waffles.....brace yourself! There was so much syrup on the waffles, it was hard to see the WILD RICE they mixed in them! No, I'm not joking. Who puts wild rice in waffle mix? I've heard of blackberries, blueberries, maybe cherries, but wild rice? That's just disgusting! And no, it wasn't included in the description of the item on the menu. I guess its a good thing the menu changes DAILY! 

Needless to say, we politely declined dessert. I didn't want to spend any more money at this place. The best thing was the wine (Moscato D'asti)...or so we thought! I woke up the next morning so sick, vomiting what looked like wine! I was over the toilet for an hour before work Monday morning! I didn't know what it was...until I talked to The Mister later in the day. He got sick at the gym that morning. Now, we're not sure if it really was the wine..but it certainly was something we ate or drank. I'm kind of hoping it wasn't the wine, since it showed up on the bill for $44--it was listed on the menu for $38...

I think on a regular day this restaurant is probably a good pick. Maybe it was the missing employee who had to work his second job at Amway Center, who threw EVERYTHING-- and the food...OFF! 

Cost for two: $50..(about $90-with a bottle of wine)
Parking: Very cramped. It's an old house and parking is available in a VERY small gravel lot on the side of the building. 

No comments:

Post a Comment