Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dexter's-Thornton Park

Meat Platter served with Plantation Breakfast
Dexter's is interesting. I have to be honest. I'm not a huge fan..not because the food is bad. Just don't like the rushed service and hurried atmosphere. I hadn't been in a while, but decided to check out the Thornton Park location on my day off, since breakfast is now served. Unfortunately, I was turned off, once the waiter told me turkey sausage is not an option. Hence, the big tin of pork you see here, mixed with scrambled eggs and cheese thick enough to give me flashbacks of the "government cheese" we used to eat when I was little....

Plantation Breakfast
Dexter's is sort of a chain, with three locations in the Orlando area (Thornton Park, Winter Park and Lake Mary). Whoever owns it, is really smart because they're all in great locations, which means they are busy most of the time, especially Sundays!  But let's get back to this breakfast available on the NEW menu...
Cheese Grits
Here is a pic of the rest of the Plantation breakfast I ordered. I think they thought I was eating for two. I mean, I'm all about getting MORE for your money. But a tin of pork (bacon, sausage, ham), eggs, pancakes, cheese grits, AND an english muffin is a BIT MUCH. By the way, you will be hard-pressed to convince me the english muffin (pictured below) isn't injected with steroids...I'm just saying.  If you try the breakfast, this meal could possibly serve two. I guess the good thing is: it's only $8!  The cheese grits alone, are enough to fill you up. They were a bit too salty for me, and I didn't like
how the chef just sat the cheese atop the grits. I prefer it mixed in.
I seriously threw away more than half this breakfast.
English Muffin
Kudos to the waitress who was patient enough to help me navigate through the new menu. But it was also slow the day I went. I don't think too many people know Dexter's serves breakfast, just yet.

But don't let my thoughts about the farm-sized breakfast discourage you from trying this spot. I will try the breakfast again, just not the Plantation Breakfast. It's clearly the breakfast created for a man the size of Shaquille O'Neal. The lunch is great. My fav is the Dexter's Special.  Like I said, its sort of a chain, so there's no telling who you will run into at this joint. I like it for meeting with sources. Close to work, and it's cheap. Just try to avoid the crowds (lunch and dinner)...oh wait..that's just about all the time...LOL!

Cost for two: $20 (breakfast) $30 (lunch)
Parking: Thornton Park location is CRAMPED for parking. There is street parking, but also a very SMALL lot in back of the restaurant. Lake Mary location is in a shopping center, so parking is not an issue. Winter Park location is in the heart of Hannibal Square, so there is quite a bit of parking.

2 comments:

  1. Dexters is great on Tuesdays. The $1 hamburger with the extra trimmings keeps me coming back to their Winter Park location. I don't think I'll try them for breakfast though. Thanks DJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ms. Prince..
    One spot I did try this weekend at Millenia was KeKe Breakfast Cafe...talk about yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete