Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bananas

Bananas is BANANAS! I immediately fell in love with this place when I walked in! It's location is somewhat hidden, unless you'e familiar with all the quaint spots in Orlando's Colonialtown neighborhood. The demographic is similar to what you will find in downtown Orlando. You, single, eclectic crowd...there is a lot of character in this neighborhood! There are a few consignment shops nearby too, if you're in the mood to shop...

The Mister and I were having dinner at Nick's Italian Kitchen, recently. The manager recommended we try Bananas! Both restaurants are owned by the same people. They also own the Funky Monkey next door. Bananas is alright with me, first off, because it serves breakfast 24 hours/day on weekends! I don't know what it is, but breakfast on Saturday or Sunday afternoon makes my mouth water! It's strange because I'm not a big fan of breakfast during the week.

The inside of BANANAS is eclectic! Nothing fancy, dark, and different...if you look closely, you'll be able to tell the beautiful women on the walls are actually men, dressed in drag....
The Mister and I got excited when we saw the sign up front, advertising a "Gospel Brunch" on Sunday, until we found out, it's actually a "drag" show, featuring tons of vulgar language, and sometimes near naked men/women, pretending to be on Broadway in New York City's Times Square!

I'm not judging..just not my thing. And don't let that  sway you from missing out on some of the best breakfast I've had! If you're not into it, just don't go on Sunday. Saturday is free and clear of any shows..as far as I know :)

Our server was enthusiastic and engaging. She took time to explain the menu, and events being featured at the restaurant (even though they were swamped), which is how we found out about the "drag show".......

***clearing throat***

I mean "Gospel Brunch" ..... :)

Stuffed French Toast
EVERYTHING on the menu sounds FANTASTIC! I had a hard time deciding! You know there are some places where the menu is just overwhelming, but it all sounds like a bunch of garbage packaged on a nice plate...This is not the case at BANANAS! I settled on the Stuffed French Toast! It's coated with rice crispy's, stuffed with strawberries and creme cheese! Trust me...you don't need any sides with this item (although it comes with eggs, sausage, etc.). You will walk away satisfied, with a strong urge to press the speed limit, as you make your way to the gym! Don't fret about the LONG wait for your food (yes, it can be up to 30 minutes). I think it's well worth it. As the manager explained, everything is made from scratch! The manager also put a nice touch on the visit when he stopped by our table to explain a little more about the character and background of the restaurant. It's the little things...

That being said, I strongly recommend this place. It's not a chain (although the owners are in the process of opening a second location at Pointe Orlando), and that's always a plus!

Price: $20 (for two)
Parking: Can be cramped, depending on time of day. Very small parking lot is shared by Bananas and Funky Money, next door.
Dress: Very Casual


No comments:

Post a Comment